Although legal online sports betting appears to be imminent in New York, it hasn’t arrived yet. For now, the only legal way to get in on New York Liberty playoff odds without leaving the Empire State is to visit New York casinos with brick-and-mortar sportsbooks inside them.
However, there are options for Liberty fans who prefer to bet online and do so legally and safely. In fact, some of them might be more convenient than visiting the retail books in casinos around the state.
Where to find New York Liberty playoffs odds in NY
All of the four upstate commercial casinos in NY have retail sportsbooks. Those casinos, along with their sports betting partners, are:
- Del Lago Resort Casino, Waterloo – DraftKings Sportsbook
- Resorts World Catskills, Monticello – Bet365 Sportsbook
- Rivers Casino, Schenectady – BetRivers Sportsbook
- Tioga Downs, Nichols – PointsBet Sportsbook
Several of the tribal casinos in NY also offer in-person wagering. For example, all three Seneca properties in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Salamanca offer their own branded sportsbooks. Another tribal casino with its own sportsbook operation is the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino & Resort in Hogansburg.
Bettors can find Caesars-branded sportsbooks at Point Place Casino in Bridgeport, Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, and Yellow Brick Road Casino in Chittenango. Currently, that’s the sum total of legal options in NY.
While some bettors prefer the atmosphere of a physical sportsbook, the travel expense can cut into your bankroll. There are legal options for New Yorkers who prefer to wager online and are willing to travel in different directions, too.
Crossing the line to bet online
Both New Jersey and Pennsylvania offer legal online sports betting. The great news for New Yorkers is that you do not have to be a resident of either state to take advantage. In fact, you don’t even have to be within either state’s borders to do most of your business with sportsbooks in either place.
From your home in NY, you can do all of the following:
- Browse available apps for use in NJ and/or PA
- Download and install the apps on your phone
- Register for accounts with NJ/PA sportsbooks
- Deposit money into your accounts to bet with
- Browse the betting lines for Thursday night’s Liberty at Phoenix Mercury game (10 p.m. ET on Thursday, Sept. 23)
- Withdraw winnings
You must, however, be within the borders of either state to actually place your bets. If the app can’t verify your presence within either NJ or PA, it won’t accept your wager. Here are a few sports betting apps with licenses to operate in both states:
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- BetRivers/PlaySugarHouse Sportsbook (both brands are operated by Rush Street Interactive)
- FanDuel Sportsbook
A perfect time to give NJ/PA online sportsbooks a try
Several of those sportsbooks are also currently offering lucrative bonuses to first-time depositors and new users, so ahead of Thursday’s Liberty playoff game is a great time to get started. Among those offers for the WNBA playoffs are:
- BetMGM: Risk-free first bet worth up to $1,000
- BetRivers (PA)/PlaySugarHouse (NJ): Match of your first deposit, dollar for dollar, up to $250
- Caesars: Risk-free first bet worth up to $5,000
- FanDuel: Risk-free first bet worth up to $1,000
The New York Liberty playoff odds are the longest among the eight playoff teams right now, so those brave enough to stake them stand to make a nice profit if they do the unlikely. There are legal ways for New Yorkers to get in on that action right now.